Fluid Property Calculator
Notice: To sign up for for the automated Tool Users Group mailing list, please click here.
Determining the properties of your refrigerant is a key component of many software packages offered by the Industrial Refrigeration Consortium. From inventory calculations to mass and energy balances, the properties of ammonia must be available for a variety of operating temperatures, pressures, and phases.
This tool, using the same infrastructure as other IRC software tools, has been made available to the public for educational use. Given two fluid conditions, the Fluid Property Calculator can solve the equations of state and determine over 20 different thermodynamic properties. Currently, this tool supports the following pure fluids and mixtures.
- Carbon Dioxide
- Dry Air
The methods used by this tool have been developed by the U.S. National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST), and have been based on the most accurate pure fluid and mixture models currently available. Typical uncertainties in calculations are 0.5%, but may vary by property.
The reference point used for the determination of properties like enthalpy and entropy is the point defined by the American Society of Heating, Ventilating & Air Conditioning Engineers (ASHRAE), which defines an enthalpy of zero at -40°F. In addition, all pressures given are assumed to be absolute.
DISCLAIMER OF WARRANTIES AND LIMITATION OF LIABILITIES: THESE FILES WERE PREPARED BY THE IRC. NEITHER THE IRC, NOR ANY PERSON ACTING ON BEHALF OF THEM:
- MAKES ANY WARRANTY OR REPRESENTATION WHATSOEVER, EXPRESS, OR IMPLIED,
- WITH RESPECT TO THE USE OF ANY INFORMATION, APPARATUS, METHOD, PROCESS OR SIMILAR ITEM DISCLOSED IN THESE FILES, INCLUDING MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR
- THAT SUCH USE DOES NOT INFRINGE ON OR INTERFERE WITH PRIVATELY OWNED RIGHTS, INCLUDING ANY PARTY'S INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY, OR
- THAT THESE FILES ARE SUITABLE TO ANY PARTICULAR USER'S CIRCUMSTANCE; OR
- ASSUMES RESPONSIBILITY FOR ANY DAMAGES OR OTHER LIABILITY WHATSOEVER (INCLUDING ANY CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES, EVEN IF THE IRC OR ANY IRC REPRESENTATIVE HAS BEEN ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGES) RESULTING FROM YOUR SELECTION OR USE OF THESE FILES OR ANY INFORMATION, APPARATUS, METHOD, PROCESS, OR SIMILAR ITEM DISCLOSED IN THESE FILES.