Charge Management Tool
Notice: To sign up for for the automated Tool Users Group mailing list, please click here.
Notice #2: This web-based program has been optimized to operate in Windows Internet Explorer. Using this program in any other browser may result in unanticipated problems.
For end-users that operate industrial refrigeration systems using anhydrous ammonia as the refrigerant, estimating and documenting the normal and maximum refrigerant inventory takes on heightened importance. The heightened importance is attributable to regulations that govern the use of toxic substances (including anhydrous ammonia) in industrial processes.
The two most significant regulations that arise in this case are OSHA’s Process Safety Management (PSM) standard and EPA’s Risk Management Program (RMP). In cases where the quantity of refrigerant exceeds a defined maximum limit, end-users are required to comply with the provisions of both the PSM and RMP standards. Even in cases where the total inventory of a system is less than the threshold quantity, inventory calculations are still useful for assessing process risks.
This tool can help estimate the amount of charge in your refrigeration system. It does so by calculating each individual piece of equipment, given input parameters. This equipment can be organized into areas, and reports can be compiled.
The formulas used for each calculation have been developed by IRC Associate Scientist Todd Jekel, based on rules of thumb commonly used in the industry. The interface was developed by Mark Geurts.
DISCLAIMER OF WARRANTIES AND LIMITATION OF LIABILITIES: THESE FILES WERE PREPARED BY THE IRC. NEITHER THE IRC, NOR ANY PERSON ACTING ON BEHALF OF THEM:
- MAKES ANY WARRANTY OR REPRESENTATION WHATSOEVER, EXPRESS, OR IMPLIED,
- WITH RESPECT TO THE USE OF ANY INFORMATION, APPARATUS, METHOD, PROCESS OR SIMILAR ITEM DISCLOSED IN THESE FILES, INCLUDING MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR
- THAT SUCH USE DOES NOT INFRINGE ON OR INTERFERE WITH PRIVATELY OWNED RIGHTS, INCLUDING ANY PARTY'S INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY, OR
- THAT THESE FILES ARE SUITABLE TO ANY PARTICULAR USER'S CIRCUMSTANCE; OR
- ASSUMES RESPONSIBILITY FOR ANY DAMAGES OR OTHER LIABILITY WHATSOEVER (INCLUDING ANY CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES, EVEN IF THE IRC OR ANY IRC REPRESENTATIVE HAS BEEN ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGES) RESULTING FROM YOUR SELECTION OR USE OF THESE FILES OR ANY INFORMATION, APPARATUS, METHOD, PROCESS, OR SIMILAR ITEM DISCLOSED IN THESE FILES.